Sunday, May 13, 2012

Dulwich International Day

Hard to believe it's been a year since we scored the Slovenia and Denmark baskets in the SSIS International Day.  Well, this one was much more enjoyable as we were all able to go, the weather was great, and the food was set up quite well for grazing.  The McLain boys became men when it came to pacing themselves and finding room for that next pastry.  I was also quite proud when Riley bypassed a vast array of cookies and opted for the shortbread at the English table (no, it wasn't Scottish, but at least it appeared to be close). 

With over 20 countries, there was quite a bit to do and see.  The boys all received "passports" that they had to get stamped at each of the country booths.  Upon completion of the book, they of course got a prize (a rugby ball and cotton candy).

A shot of the athletic field, full of fun things to do.

The Sweden booth, we picked up a few pastries here.

Turkey, another fine example of one of the booths.

The spoils of victory and the satisfaction in a job well done.

Performance by Japan.

English pole weaving display.  Yes, I'm sure it has a name, but I was honestly scared of what the results of a Google search would yield. 

A little slice of Bollywood.

Reid - Git' R Done!

Riley under the pile in the bouncy castle thingy.

Makes me proud to be an American - the Hillbilly basket.  Hmm, I have more than 3/4 of these items in my pantry right now!

Oh yeah, we picked up Iran.  Oblivious to all things political and events current, I am always drawn to random baskets that appear as though they had a little extra love (often at a discount, by the way).  My American friend almost disowned me, babbling about trade embargoes and breaking the law.  Sometimes I've found a little ignorance can be a good thing.  In China, ignorance is actually a valid reason to break the law.  Look it up.

Score!  Buried in the basket, the most saffron I've ever seen in one place!  Who's laughing now?!?!?!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad they had a Swedish booth - what did you get? What a score with the saffron! I need to send you a recipe of Swedish Lussekatt that we eat at Christmas time which are yellow because of the saffron. Here's an English recipe of the bun http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/st-lucia-buns-recipe

    ReplyDelete